Skip to main content

How I (Almost) Became a Sperm Donor



Around November of last year I panicked about money. I can’t remember exactly why, but it was probably because I looked at my student loan balance and had a good ole’ case of debt fright. But by fortuitous happenstance, I saw a little banner ad on the side of the page – a little banner of hope.



Sperm donation! If I passed their “rigorous” admissions process, I would have the opportunity to make $100 a pop, up to three times a week. That’s $1,200 a month. In one fell swoop I would solve my money woes and achieve genetic immortality.  I was extremely enthusiastic about my prospects as a sperm donor.

These people are eugenicists. I knew my chances were good.

I sent a couple of emails, and quickly had an appointment after class made for California Cryobank’s Central Square office. They would test my first “donation”, and then determine if I’d made the cut. What ensued was perhaps the most awkward experience of my life.

After arriving at the office, I was made to wait in a conference room. A short time later a girl in her 20s came in and had me fill out some paperwork. She was very professional, but there was an elephant in the room. We struggled through small talk while I filled out the forms. I’d hoped to make the entire experience into a big joke, but here we were: a strange girl processing the medical history of a guy about to sell his genetic material. I was in a brave new world.

She ushered me down a hallway, where a smirking male nurse stopped, looked me right in the eye and said, “Sir”, accompanied by a stiff nod of his head. I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing.
Finally, we reached another reception area, where she turned me over to a male nurse behind a counter. He gave me a small clear plastic cup and told me to select a room. There were three doors, each labeled “Collection Room.” I chose the room on the far left because it was the one farthest away from the counter with the male nurse.

What happened in there was very private and none of your business.

I turned the “sample” in at the counter. In retrospect there was no way I could have lessened the painful awkwardness of handing that little clear cup back to that nurse, but I tried anyway. I said, “Might as well get paid for what I’m doing anyway.” He didn’t laugh.


I never went back.

Comments

  1. I put this on your twitter, but it bears repeating. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqC2qoS92qo

    Also, I looked into egg donation, but that process would involve me shooting myself up with hormones, experiencing ULTRA-PMS, and wanting to die. And you can't do it nearly as often. You lucky bastard. ;)

    (I would have donated. Three times a week. A thousand dollars a month ain't no joke.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That video is great, but I was much more confident in my genetic material than he was.

    With what they were paying, I figured the burden was on someone else to convince me NOT to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Selling My First-Born, and other Financing Options

This is Part II of a response to a reader. Paying for law school begins with good planning. And by good planning I mean having rich parents. Because that’s the only way you’ll pull it off without borrowing a ton of money. (A note: some people don’t like talking about money because they feel it is in bad taste. If that’s you, quit reading now) Take Harvard Law for example: That’s just for one year. Law school is three years long, so break out your calculators. Don’t forget the annual tuition increases, and the 7% that compounds DAILY. Thanks to the handy cost of attendance calculator on Georgetown’s website, I can now calculate exactly how much a debt-financed Ivy League education costs. That’s a little over a quarter million dollars. How exactly can anyone pay that off? The short answer is that the job prospects are very good at HLS, as new associates make $160,000 a year at the large law firms.

Icarus

You'd think that I would have learned not to procrastinate.  But in just about every aspect of my life, I wait until the last conceivable minute to do what needs to be done.  Whether it's moving cross-country or going for a run at night, I'm pretty bad about punctual planning.  But it's worked for me so far, so I don't have plans to change.  Which brings me to my first topic of the night: Moving I was lulled into a false sense of security about the ease of moving during college.  Back then, everything I owned fit snugly in the back of a Mercury Cougar (terrible car, don't buy one), and moving felt like an adventure.  Sort of like I was a high class hobo.  But no more.  Now, moving involves my truck (15 mpg), an extortionate U-haul fee, and sedating the dogs.   The silver lining is that the urge to burn everything I own out of frustration probably makes me less materialistic.  Jess might not agree. Question I've had the exact same question as